Tuesday 19 March 2013

The other 90%

I'm missing "the other 90%". I'm not sure how much of communication is actually non-verbal, but the dynamic dialogue that happens over coffee is what I'm really after. I don't want wisely worded responses to deep questions or carefully crafted examples of why some idea will or won't work.

It's not that I spend a great deal of time thinking about or editing my posts (as if you couldn't tell!). I'm not looking to be a writer, but I do have a need to get thoughts out on "paper" and after 6 years of hiatus, I'm getting back to online expression. My livejournal is old and archived...every time I log on there I get spam comments. It died a bit of a terrible death. My last great hurrah on LJ was commented on by a bitter used-to-be-friend who remained annonymous in order to tell me in various ways why I was a worthless person. I never found out who wrote the comments, but there were enough personal references that they either were a seriously deranged stalker, or someone I used to know.

Is that why I gave up online? No... I had other things I was working on. Getting used to living with someone was difficult as we are opposites in some ways. I also work on a computer all day and I just didn't want to spend anymore time on one when I was at home. Then there were kids. They take up LOTS of time!

How did I start to come back? It all started with Twitter! I swore I'd never tweet. Then I did. But better than tweeting was being able to learn about things that are important to me by using it as a news feed. Nobody ever told me that Twitter could do that. Now that is useful. Way better than hearing about someone taking their dog outside to do it's business.

So I've been getting very passionate about social justice, feminism (I've been a closet feminist for a long time) and specifically women's issues in church culture. Finding people to talk to about it all has been, well, difficult. For one thing, with young kids it's hard to get out in the evenings. When I do get out, not everyone I hang out with is overly interested in talking about these things. Maybe it's partly because some of them already are social/youth workers and they are trying to recharge for another day of dealing with difficult issues. Maybe because you just can't talk about some of the more difficult aspects of social justice when your kids are around... and they are very often around. :)

Anyway, so here I am, online to try and connect at the very least to people who share a passion for these issues and other things that are more important (to me) than how to be Martha Stewart.

The best thing I've read recently?
Henry Rollins Comments On Steubenville Rape Verdict

I think Henry Rollins is brilliant and youth today need to know how cool he is. They/We could learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment